Partners and Sponsors
How You can Help
TOC Facebook Page
Calgary Outdoor Club
Edmonton Outdoor Club
Maryland Outdoor Club
Atlanta Outdoor Club
Vancouver Regional Outdoor Club
Doesn't Hurt to Try a Yurt (Algonquin) - Fri, Apr 21 2017, Sat, Apr 22 2017, Sun, Apr 23 2017
Download to your Outlook Calendar
Pour toutes informations en français, s'il vous plaît contactez Jenn à email@example.com.
PRE-REGISTRATION & ADVANCE PAYMENT REQUIRED: Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST sign up at the bottom of this page.After you sign up at the bottom, you will be presented with information about how to pay. Late payments are NOT accepted for this event, in any circumstance.
You are STRONGLY encouraged to read this page in its entirety before signing up. If you'd like to attend, we ask that you abide by our rules and procedures as a time/cost saving process (with an end result of keeping membership free and lower cost events).
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Apr 21 2017, Sat, Apr 22 2017, Sun, Apr 23 2017
1:00 PM (Carpool Departure: 1:00 PM *log in for location*)
|Registration Cut Off:
Fri, Mar 31 2017 12:00:00 AM
|Event Duration:||2 nights|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Coordinator contact information.
|Member Cost:||$70.51/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 19 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||6|
|Number Registered So Far:||
8 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
|There are three type of camping:
The emphasis of this trip will be to introduce new campers to the three different camping styles, while our lodging for the weekend will be in the warm comfort of a (beginners) Yurt. Campers of all levels are welcome! We will be spending the weekend as a group so please read on to see if the itinerary for the weekend is of interest to you.
- Beginners: "roofed accommodations" (cabins or yurts),
- Intermediate: "car camping" (in a tent but your car is very close by), or
- Advanced: "backcountry" (by backpacking or canoe).
Mew Lake campgrounds in Algonquin park is home to several Yurts, and many car camp sites. In addition to our first-hand beginners' experience, we will explore the camp grounds on foot to get an idea of various car camping styles. Finally (if the trails are not flooded) we'll hike to the nearby Highland Backpacking trail, where we will explore backcountry backpacking trails, and visit a backpacking site! (Approx distance there and back will be 10-12 km over some rugged terrain.) Weather permitting, we’ll even demonstrate some basic camping skills, e.g.: setting up a tent; hanging food (to keep the bears from getting to it), locate the thunder box.
We booked 2 yurts for the weekend. They are like large heated 'tents' that we don't have to carry or put up ourselves! Each one has two bunk beds, so we'll have four people per yurt. This does mean that a yurt could be co-ed, but you will have your own bed. The yurts are very close (2 min walk) to the comfort stations, which have heated bathrooms, and private shower areas.
We've found in the past that people prefer to bring their own food and eat when it's best for them. Breakfast especially is tricky if someone is an early riser and doesn't want to wait for everyone else! To that end, we're trying this year for 'bring your own food' for all meals.
We are going to bring a coleman stove and an electric kettle. We suggest you consider options like instant oatmeal or "add boiling water" type meals. More on this in the follow up emails to those signed up.
The itinerary for the weekend will be:
Car pool to the yurts
Tour around the car camp sites
Weather permitting, we'll get a fire going.
If no trail flooding - Hike to Highland Backpacking trail and visit a site at Provoking Lake (Note: trails are rugged and may be icy at that time of year - icers are mandatory to bring)
If there is trail flooding, then we will decide as a group - either go to the visitor centre on Saturday instead of Sunday, or perhaps hike one of the day hiking trails.
Trail lunch while out
Return to yurts
Weather permitting, we'll have a fire.
Drive to and tour the Algonquin Visitors' Centre (if we didnt' do it on Saturday)
Day hike in Algonquin (trail TBD)
Back to the city. Arrive in Toronto approx. 8 PM
Here are a few need to know before you sign up:
Disclaimer: This event is not intended to be an exhaustive how-to on camping skills.
- The yurts may be co-ed, depending on who signs up. Be prepared.
- Cost per person is based on 6 people signing up. If 7 or more sign up, cash refunds at the event will be issued.
- Hikes are rain or shine, and everyone who signs up is expected to go as a group.
- Conditions are unpredictable in early spring. Expect mud, snow, ice, and everything in between!!
- This is a group event! Everyone will be expected to chip in with duties like cleaning the yurts at the end of the event. Also, we will all be hiking together, going to the visitors' centre etc.
- Car pool is 1 PM on Friday. Please only sign up if you can make it there on time!
There will be no pre-meeting for this event. We'll do all the planning via email and potentially an on-line survey.
|Required Items to Bring:|
weather appropriate clothing
hat, mitts etc.
hiking boots / icers
water bladder or bottle for hiking
All food and coffee/tea/snacks for weekend
personal toiletries (toothbrush etc.)
plate, cup, mug, utensils
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||600Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||
Log in for location
Log in for directions
Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $120.60 (calculated at total Km * $0.201, effective Sunday, March 26, 2017). This is based on $0.08/Km for maintenance, plus current gas price divide by 9. Your event coordinator will confirm exactly how much money is required from each person.
2017 TOC badges will be available for purchase. 100% of proceeds go directly back to the club + this covers all your voluntary donations for the rest of the 2017 year!|
Although the registration opens on paper at 9 PM, it's sometimes out by an hour due to the location of the server. However, daylight savings time starts this weekend, and I don't know if this will affect the real registration open time or not!
Photo credit: Stacy
- Registration is NOT COMPLETE until you've signed up and paid by the registration cut off date. The money must be in the TOC's possession by that date. No exceptions.
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with full refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met. For any events where TOC needs a minimum number of participants, there will be absolutely no refund of money if you cancel.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in TOC events.
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Stacy, at email@example.com.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||Yurt accommodations: Each yurt is $102.68 (incl. tax) per night x 2 nights x 2 yurts = $410.72. Divide by minimum 6 people = $68.45 + 3% TOC processing = $70.51 per person.
In the event that we have 7 or more people on the event, everyone will get a cash refund at the end of the event.
This cost does not include the following that also needs to be considered: car pool; additional car parking (to be added to car pool and split evenly amongst all attendees); firewood; fuel for stove. Don't forget you are responsible for bringing your own food.
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the TOC on Fri, Mar 31 2017.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
|Voluntary Donation: ( What is this?)|
Suggested donation amount for this event is: $2.00/Person.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!
Sorry, either registration for this event is closed, or the event is full. If you are a TOC Member, you may add yourself to the Waiting List here.
Note that if the event maximum has not been reached, but you are still seeing this box, it is because the maximum was reached at one point and there are already others ahead of you on the list.