Partners and Sponsors
How You can Help
TOC Facebook Page
Calgary Outdoor Club
Edmonton Outdoor Club
Maryland Outdoor Club
Atlanta Outdoor Club
Vancouver Regional Outdoor Club
Kayak and Canoe the Minesing Wetlands - Sat, Apr 15 2017
Download to your Outlook Calendar
Pour toutes informations en français, s'il vous plaît contactez Jenn à firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRE-REGISTRATION & ADVANCE PAYMENT REQUIRED: Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST sign up at the bottom of this page.After you sign up at the bottom, you will be presented with information about how to pay. Late payments are NOT accepted for this event, in any circumstance.
You are STRONGLY encouraged to read this page in its entirety before signing up. If you'd like to attend, we ask that you abide by our rules and procedures as a time/cost saving process (with an end result of keeping membership free and lower cost events).
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Apr 15 2017
8:15 AM (Carpool Departure: 8:15 AM *log in for location*)
|Registration Cut Off:
Wed, Mar 29 2017 8:00:00 PM
|Event Duration:||All day|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
You must be logged in to get the Event Coordinator contact information.
|Member Cost:||$66.95/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 18 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||6|
|Number Registered So Far:||
13 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
Kayak and Canoe through the Minesing Wetlands, including Willow Creek and Nottawasaga River
Previous kayaking/canoeing experience is a must to participate in this event, as this is not a "learn to paddle" outing. Once committed, this is a 5 hour paddle with no option to turn back. In windy conditions, this is a very long and challenging kayak paddle. Canoeing is not recommended if it's windy; you'll be advised of conditions a few days before outing.
Join your fellow TOC adventurers and our event guides Free Spirit Tours as we are guided on a spring paddle through the ecosystem that is the Minesing Wetlands - located northwest of Barrie.
About the Minesing Wetlands
The Minesing Wetlands is the largest intact wetland in southern Ontario.
It provides habitat for a large variety of flora and fauna, many of which are rare, sensitive and/or near the limits of their geographical range. Over 206 species of birds inhabit the wetlands, including 114 known breeders and Ontario's fifth largest Great Blue Heronry.
It supports numerous plant species which are at the extremities of their natural range, including those indigenous to the arctic tundra in the north and the Carolinian forests to the south, and is home to the largest pure stand of silver maple in the province. The unique hydrology provides for an interconnected network of wetlands, fens and marshes. The Minesing wetlands is a popular recreation area which draws many tourists and canoeing is a common activity in the area.
- 8:15am - Meet in Toronto at Downsview Subway, passenger drop off/pickup area
- 9:30am - Group arrives in the town of Minesing at Willow Creek
- 10:00am - Gear up and commence guided paddle
- 12:30pm - Lunch break
- 3:00pm - End paddle at Edenvale Conservation Area, organize car shuttle into Creemore at the Old Mill Pub House for early dinner (Creemore Brewery is next door!)
- 5:00pm - Plan carpool back to Toronto
- 6:30pm - Estimated return to Toronto, Downsview (or other) Subway
About your event host/guide company:
Free Spirit Tours has been operating since 1998 offering innovative programming in outdoor pursuits - be on the water or on land. Programs take place in the picturesque Georgian Bay area surrounding Collingwood, Ontario. Activities includes hiking, canoeing, kayaking, rock climbing, caving and sea kayaking tours to all age groups.
See photos from previous events here and
|Required Items to Bring:|
- Lunch, Snacks and Hydration/Water
- Watersport and wet weather appropriate clothing and gear including:
Waistpack/Daypack/Small Backpack/drybag to carry personal items/lunch during the paddle.
- A change of clothes/footwear is recommended and can be left in the parked cars.
- Carpool Money, Cellphone, Sunglasses, Camera, etc
- Your spot is only confirmed once the treasurer has received your payment.
- Drivers on the waiting list can be given priority should a need arise.
- Life Vest/PFD is to be worn at all times.
- Ability to swim in not a requirement to participate.
- Bringing your own boat/gear - see reduced cost details below.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
Safety check for drivers:
Please ensure your car is road safety ready for out of town trips:
- full tank of gas, inflated (spare) tire, booster cables
- extra keys, insurance, roadside assistance info
- charged cellphone, driving maps, GPS info
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||Minesing/Willow Creek Car Park - GPS: X-593661.9216, Y-4919396.961
View Larger Map
Pub and Brewery in Creemore
View Larger Map
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||260Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||
Log in for location
Log in for directions
Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $52.26 (calculated at total Km * $0.201, effective Sunday, March 26, 2017). This is based on $0.08/Km for maintenance, plus current gas price divide by 9. Your event coordinator will confirm exactly how much money is required from each person.
Photo source: Ghanesh Das
If this event is canceled by the service provider, it will be rescheduled and/or a refund given if you cannot make the rescheduled date.
- Registration is NOT COMPLETE until you've signed up and paid by the registration cut off date. The money must be in the TOC's possession by that date. No exceptions.
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with full refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met. For any events where TOC needs a minimum number of participants, there will be absolutely no refund of money if you cancel.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in TOC events.
- Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
- Questions about equipment or rentals? Send them to email@example.com.
- Notice any errors or problems in the information on this page? Please notify our Content Editor(s), Stacy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||Or, if bringing your own boat/gear, price is $36.50 per person.
Costs includes: a guided event with all paddle equipment (kayak/canoe, paddles, life vest), and end of paddle outfitter shuttle back to cars.
Carpool cost (approx. $12.48 pp) is extra and will be determined exactly based on actual distances traveled and participants carpooling.
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the TOC on Wed, Mar 29 2017.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
|Voluntary Donation: ( What is this?)|
Suggested donation amount for this event is: $2.00/Person.
Please review our Cancellation Policy carefully!
Sorry, either registration for this event is closed, or the event is full. If you are a TOC Member, you may add yourself to the Waiting List here.
Note that if the event maximum has not been reached, but you are still seeing this box, it is because the maximum was reached at one point and there are already others ahead of you on the list.